Like any piece of machinery from time to time something will go wrong with your Berry. Fortunately as a computer they are steps you can take to bring your blackberry back to life.
Blackberry Playing Up
If for any reason your Blackberry does something out of the ordinary the first thing to do is force it to do a reboot by:
- With your Blackberry powered on, pulling the battery and replacing it – hard reset.
- Pressing ‘alt’, right shift ‘aA’ and ‘del’ at the same time – soft reset.
My Blackberry fell into water
- The first and most important step is to remove your battery from your Blackberry® phone as soon as possible.
- Never put the battery back on your phone or attach the charger to the unit until it has been to a repair center and been given the OK.
- If you cannot get the phone to us straight away, then remove your sim card and place the wet phone into a plastic bag. The trick is to keep it moist until we open the unit. This will keep corrosion down to a minimum, maximize the chances of a successful repair, and hopefully keep costs to a minimum
If your blackberry is failing to load pages or for any other browsing issues:
- Open your browser
- Hit Menu and choose ‘Options’
- Go into ‘Cache Operations’ then clear the cache. Do a battery pull and you should be able to browse normally.
App World ID Error 80003
Before the next App World update or fix from RIM the only solution is update or re-install App World via WiFi
Synchronization Error 0x80040fb3
This error results when they are pictures in your address book, or attachments associated with calendar events.
The Fix is to go into:
Configure–>Sync–>Configure sync–>check address book–>Advanced–>Map Fields–>scroll down to pictures and click pictures to remove the arrow–>click ok–>your back to Advanced and click ok–>now your back at the Intellisync Setup, click ok.
Your synchronization should then carry on uninterrupted.
Not Able to send SMS or The Recipient not getting them
Go into ‘Options’ then Select ‘SMS’. Change ‘Data Coding’ from ‘UCS2’ to ‘7 bit’. Do a battery pull and your blackberry should be able to send SMS’ without any problems.
What do I do when I have lost my Blackberry or after it’s stolen
First you should have ‘Blackberry Protect’ installed on it. You then login into the Blackberry Protect web site. Under Options you can ring your Blackberry, display a message on it, do a ‘Security Wipe’ or locate it if it’s within GPS range.
Facebook Notifications Not going away
Harmless but the Facebook Notification can be annoying. Open your Messages folder and Press ‘u’. It will take you to all unopened messages. If the Facebook notification does not come up, Open the Facebook App, Go into notifications and Press ‘u’ for all unopened notifications.
Updating your Facebook App is also a good thing to do as this problem is not prevalent in later versions of the Facebook App.
There is a notification I have never seen on my screen
- Open the Messages folder, press ‘u’. This should take you to all your unread messages.
- Open your Applications Folders and follow the tiny star to the App that’s causing the notification.
Caller ID not showing
- Go To Options
- Select Security Options
- Select General Settings
- Under Content Protection ensure “Include Address Book” is set to No
- Exit & Save
1. The Address Book is corrupt
– To check this open the Address Book and Press and hold ALT and type VALD as this checks the data in your Address Book for inconsistencies
– If an error appears press and hold ALT and type RBLD to rebuild the data structure in Address Book
Note: If steps 1 & 2 don’t resolve the problem we may need to backup and restore the Address Book using BlackBerry Desktop Manager
2. Your phone Smart Dialing options may be set incorrectly. To check follow these steps:
a. Select Call Log or press the send key to open the Phone Application
b. Press the Menu button and select Options
c. From Options select Smart Dialing
d. Ensure your Country Code (e.g. +27 for South Africa) and National Number length are correct (e.g. 10 for South Africa). By default the Area Code field is blank.